This, as you might imagine, does not come easily to me. I am an extrovert.
Doctor, to My Loving Partner: You're being quiet.
MLP: I'm quiet.
Doc: I see. Is she quiet?
All: HAHAHAHAHAHA...
I've been reasonably successful, though. The doctor told me to carry a sign telling people I can't talk. I resisted at first -- it seemed far too LOOK AT ME for my liking -- but without the sign every interaction turned into an elaborate game of charades that drew far more attention than simply holding it up and going about my business.

Well, I guess it's good that one of you can stay quiet. Too bad it's not the one who JUST HAD THROAT SURGERY.
ReplyDeleteYou can do it. If you get the urge to talk, just think about the fact you're probably undoing all of the surgeon's hard work and you'll have to go through it all again.
You don't want that, do you?
(Feel better soon, hon. May your golden voice soon ring through the halls again, stronger than ever before.)
1. I love the title. That's one of my favorite songs.
ReplyDelete2. You have my sympathy. I talk constantly (even in my sleep) and good friends have (lovingly?!) jokes that if I had to keep quiet, my head would explode.
Good luck!
Glad to see you're smiling after your surgery! What percentage of people responding to your sign stop speaking (use hand gestures, over-the-top facial expressions, etc.) even though they're still capable of vocalizing a response?
ReplyDeleteSome of them TALK MORE. They think I should tell them all of the details about not being able to talk. It is the weirdest thing.
ReplyDeleteCrazy!
ReplyDelete