Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A-a-a-hem

About six months ago, I noticed my voice was getting hoarse. No big deal: it was probably a cold. 

I wouldn't say I ignored it; more like I didn't put much thought into what seemed like a normal wintertime annoyance.

The hoarseness didn't go away. It started getting worse. I felt like I needed to clear my throat every few minutes. Part of my job at the time was to produce a podcast, which is how I noticed it: I'd have to stop and cough, or retake a question because my voice had dropped a few seconds in. It was starting to cause problems, in other words.

I felt a bit silly. I was healthy. I do not think healthy people should waste precious health-care resources seeking treatment for imagined ailments or minor issues that will heal on their own. But I started to worry that perhaps I had a problem with my vocal cords. Maybe even -- YIKES -- cancer or something else that was equally horrible. I swallowed my principles -- carefully, as by then it almost felt like I had a lump in my throat -- and booked an appointment with the local nurse practitioner.

The NP thought I might have a thyroid problem, based largely on a mass she could feel in my throat and the fact that I'd lost about ten pounds without warning about a year earlier. (I did not tell her that the weight loss had coincided with some emotional trauma; there are some things I just don't want to get into with people.) She ordered thyroid tests, which were inconclusive.

One piece of advice I will offer for people with an Internet connection is that googling "thyroiditis" is a bad idea. People who have, or believe they have, thyroid problems are an unhappy lot. Those who cannot seem to convince their doctors they have thyroid problems are especially miserable. I wanted to put the computer down and back away slowly. 

And so I was relieved when an ultrasound showed the size of my thyroid was within normal parameters. But I still had a lump in my throat and was having trouble talking. (Yes, go ahead; HA HA.)

The ear, nose, and throat specialist had other ideas. His scope (through the nostril and down down down COUGH COUGH COUGH) showed a polyp beneath my vocal cords, pressing against them and inflamed from causes unknown but likely caused by...uhhhhhh...talking too much. (I heard you the first time: HA HA.)

He prescribed meds for acid reflux, which I still doubt I actually have, but I suppose that is a minor thing. And today I went to the hospital for surgery to poke at this damned polyp. It was a bit of a procession of "you're too small for this medical device" and I hope there is now a note on my chart: USE PEDIATRIC EQUIPMENT. It took three tries to get the IV line in and two tries to intubate me, and they needed to find a smaller blood-pressure cuff. And after all of that, they found they would need different equipment to remove the polyp, so they simply biopsied it. I was displeased when they woke me up and told me this, as I'd been hoping this would be the end of the line and I understood the options to be "remove it" and "biopsy it and then travel to another city for a second surgery to remove it". It sounds like vocal therapy may be a third option, though; I'm hoping this is the case because I have zero desire to have surgery alone in a far-away city. I'll know more in a week or so.

3 comments:

  1. "Those who cannot seem to convince their doctors they have thyroid problems are especially miserable..."

    Ha! That made me laugh out loud. I never understand people who WANT thyroid trouble. I read once that people consider it the "holy Grail" of diagnosis because then they would have an excuse to be overweight and stressed... Say what? I would happily give away my diagnosis to the first person that asked, but I still wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope the third option comes through for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of warm, healthy thoughts your way my friend, and hoping vocal therapy works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crud! What a heap of hoops to jump through.

    Hoping you can be fixed up right away and good as new!

    ReplyDelete