I've established that the roomie did indeed put the house up for sale because she was convinced I was going to move out.
To be all Myers-Briggs about it, it was a classic FJ (me) / TP (the roomie) problem. These are all learning experiences to eventually be applied with the Bearded Cyclist, who is the same personality type as the roomie but far more stable. Hopefully I can manage to keep from messing things up too badly.
Possibilities...so many possibilities for a flexible P to muse about! I'd known when I moved in last November that she was considering selling the house in the spring. It is a nice house in a nice neighbourhood, and there are lots of reasons anyone might want it. Throughout the winter, she talked vaguely about selling. I told her I'd help with whatever needed to be done to get the place ready for sale. Like any good ESFJ, I like painting and redecorating.
Spring brought talk of what would need to be done to sell. I figured I should put myself on the waiting list at one of the nicer apartment buildings in town. The list was long, and if you're not on the list, well, you're not on the list. Better to be on it than not on it. I am a J: it is important to plan ahead for eventualities.
The woman who took my application asked when I needed a place. I had no idea, which was good, because she had no idea how long it would take me to get to the top of the list. We agreed that she would call if a spot became available.
Spring turned to summer. The roomie took none of the steps I figured anyone who was selling a house would take. Instead, she started talking about buying her ex out of the place (he'd moved out just before I moved in, and was anxious to settle their property). They agreed on a price. I figured this was as good a sign as any that she would stay and would continue to need a roommate. Son and I talked about it and decided to stay until the end of the next school year. It felt right. I am a feeling F.
But the roomie is a thinking T, and she knew I'd put in an application at the apartment building because I'd talked to one of our co-workers about it. Ts, man...I gather she thought herself into doing something crazy.
But it seems that living in a house that is for sale just creates more things for a P to consider. Is THIS offer a good one? How about THAT one? What could be done to remove the conditions on the offer? Might there be another offer if something changed?
Js like certainty. There's no way I could stay in a house that was for sale, even if I did not have Son to worry about, and even if everything else about the situation was completely normal. I'd arranged to rent a new place within days of finding out from a friend that the roomie had listed the house almost as soon as I'd left town.
She seemed surprised the other day when I told her that until I found out the house was for sale, I'd planned to stay. The new house is better! (It is, in many ways, but I wouldn't have bothered to go looking for it if I hadn't suddenly found myself potentially homeless.) I was looking for an apartment! (I was, because she was talking about selling; when she seemed to decide not to sell, I stopped looking.) She is getting increasingly concerned about how she can afford to live in the house without a roommate, but this is just another thing to ponder without taking any action. It is all a bit surreal to me.
It doesn't much matter; I'm moving later this month and the new house is better. But it does help with my nagging concern that she was just waiting for me to leave town before listing the house and hoping I'd never notice.
I find it interesting that she can take precipitous action (putting the house up for sale without telling you), but when you do it (finding a more stable home), it's an issue.
ReplyDeleteHopefully communication would help with that with the Bearded One.