It's been a week since I moved out. I went shopping for a ring today.
I stopped wearing my wedding ring in June. Since then, I have thought several times that I needed a ring for my left hand. Something to signal to the wolves and associated hound dogs: BACK OFF, I'M NOT AVAILABLE.
I'm not available, you see. And I am not at all comfortable with the "plenty o' fish" situation in town.
So I need a ring to ward off the unwanted attention.
This, I hasten to warn you, is not the sort of thing you should muse about in mixed company. There are too many ways that conversation can get out of control. (Whoops.)
No, there's no point in artificially increasing your own troubles when all you really need is a magic ring.
I really liked my old ring. It is not, technically, my wedding ring, which is far too big for my hand now that I've lost a lot of weight and which I haven't seen in a while. I had to buy a replacement a few years ago, and I found a tiny leafy ring that did not look like a wedding band but that suited me just fine. My mother chastised me for not getting it blessed, as is the custom for wedding bands. I just didn't bother.
The other day, I took it out of the drawer and stared at it for a while.
It's just a symbol. But symbols do mean something. It doesn't matter that I really like the ring. I can't wear it. I need a new one.
I wear a ring on the middle finger of my left hand. If I felt like I needed to, I could easily switch it to the ring finger (though it would be a bit big), but mostly it's a reminder of a commitment to myself -- to always love myself and to be patient with myself in the tough times.
ReplyDeleteYou need a ring like that, regardless of which finger you wear it on. Making a commitment to be true to yourself is just as important as making commitments to others.
Much love, my dear.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWise Anne is wise. Love to you, hon.
ReplyDelete