Saturday, May 26, 2012

Things you couldn't know

I want you to imagine a world where you have only eaten soup.

Soup is good. Delicious, even.

You have eaten soup for your entire life. You can talk to people about food, because you have eaten soup three times a day. In certain situations, you can even talk to people for quite a long time about soup. You can share it with others and make it for others. Dinner at your house isn't weird, because you can always make soup. You can read books about the wonders of soup, and you can agree with everything in those books.

Soup is tasty and filling. You could be happy eating it.

And in this imaginary world where you have only eaten soup, there is no way you could ever tell anyone that you would like chocolate ice cream. It has never occurred to you that food could be cold. You don't know sweetness exists. You could never tell anyone that you want your food to hold its shape or taste like chocolate.

No, you'd never know that until the day you had chocolate ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Soup is delicious, but if I had to choose one or the other for the rest of my life? I'd probably choose ice cream.

    Go for the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not that crazy about soup. Or ice cream. And I have tasted both.

    And yes, I get your metaphor :)

    ReplyDelete