I am leery of anything that resembles addiction; I don't quite know how a person knows he or she is addicted to pain meds but the nurse assures me that I am fine so far. I'd like to not need them at all but that is not an option at this point. After this afternoon's dose they are going to let me walk around outside with Son or the Caffeinated Wonk. (Whoever gets here at just the right time, I guess.)
I sneaked a peek while the nurse was changing the dressing; I appear to be healing well but I have a lot of staples in me. (STAPLES. NO WONDER IT HURTS.) I wouldn't say I'm squeamish but it has taken me until today to be able to look at it.
If my Facebook messages are any guide, hysterectomies are wonderful things for women who choose them for medical reasons. I might feel the same way if I felt that I'd had more of a choice in the matter. I suppose I had a choice in the sense that nobody was going to tie me down and force me into surgery, but every doctor and nurse I spoke to made it clear that there were no other options for dealing with it and that it was going to start causing me even more troubles if I didn't get surgery soon.
I'd been expecting Ex to bring Son up for a visit but found out last night that he has gone out of town camping for the weekend. I am not sure which responsible adult has been looking after Son. I am also not sure why any of this comes as a surprise.
There are still a few days to wait for the pathology report. I am desperately hoping I do not need more surgery and have decided not to worry about it; there is no point anyway. A friend thinks this will be an excellent story: "GUESS what they took out of ME!" She speculates that it has a beak.
Keep taking your pain meds.
ReplyDeleteFrom my experience, you need those meds, especially the first few days. Yes, pain sometimes is telling your body not to do something, but there are other times when that pain needs to be ignored, drowned out.
This is one of those times.
You want to take the pain meds so you get get up and get moving, which will help you heal faster and keep you from losing muscle mass etc.
For now, take the pain meds as the doctor/nurses recommend.
When you get out of the hospital, take pain meds before 1) you want to go to sleep and 2) you want to exercise/do PT.
Sleep is very very important when you're healing, and if you're in pain, you're going so sleep for shit, which isn't going to help you get better faster.
So, really. Take your pain meds. If you're worried about addiction, then you are likely not the person who is going to get addicted.
Also: ((HUGS))
Also: Ex is an ass who needs his f'ing read kicked for leaving Son alone at this time.
Girl, you need pain meds. It takes a while to become addicted, and if you step down from them (instead of cold turkey stopping) you should be a-okay.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm so sorry about this whole thing. Hugs.
xox
The Shovel of Doom is at the ready. Just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteIf your body needs pain meds to get up and move around, then you need them. You can ease off later.
ReplyDeleteBeing wary of medicine is a good thing overall, though.
Agree with everyone else re: pain meds. Now is exactly when you need them. So take them! I have a feeling that you won't get addicted to them. (Addiction runs in my family, so I tend to be very wary of meds myself.)
ReplyDeleteOne of these days Ex is going to find a mob of Megan friends on his doorstep with torches and pitchforks. Ugh.