Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring break 2014

Son and I are in British Columbia for a week of skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing.

I had never attempted skiing, but after a lesson I was able to go down the baby hill. Not the bunny hill: I am pretty sure it is a fraction of the size of the bunny hill. Don't think "ski hill", think "driveway with an incline".

The instructors had a group of five-year-olds -- and me. I ended up one-on-one with an instructor (NOBODY ELSE WAS AS BAD AT SKIING) and I can confidently say that in two hours I improved more than I will ever improve again. I started the lesson afraid to stand on the skis and I ended it by going down a hill, so that's not bad.

No, I can't go skiing with you. I'm not any good. I snowshoed nine miles today instead of attempting another lesson. I did manage to completely wear my snowshoeing partner out, so there's that. His wife texted me when I brought him home to tell me they have a new expression: "being Meganed". I hope it is a compliment.

Son is sore from a couple of days of snowboarding lessons that taught him many things, including that he needs to keep taking lessons. He is quite an athlete and I think he expected to be able to pick it up naturally and hit the slopes. (The first year he went to camp, he went from being unable to swim to slalom skiing in three weeks.) Lessons are good for him. He needs to work at things.

2 comments:

  1. You look like you're having fun. This pleases me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time!! I am not a skier either. Skiing is more like torture.

    ReplyDelete