Sunday, April 22, 2012

World turning

I have a tendency to make quick decisions.

Well, from a certain point of view.

The reality is that I put a lot of energy into trying to deal with issues, problems, concerns -- whatever you want to call them. What feels sudden is the decision to act on what I always knew.

I remember the moment I decided to quit my last job. It was the third Thursday in April 2010. I'd spent years trying to overcome a problem; the details aren't important. I'd made adjustments that I thought would fix the issue. I'd made more adjustments. I continually pushed back the date I could expect to be happy. I convinced myself that the end was near; I just had to stick it out until, until, until.

Until that day in April.

I clearly remember getting angry.

I clearly remember thinking, "I thought this would be over when the fiscal year ended -- oh."

And with that, it was over.

I didn't leave my job until that November. But in my head, I was already gone. It was just a matter of setting a new plan.

3 comments:

  1. Considering how much of our lives we spend working, being at a job where you're unhappy isn't worth it in the long run.

    You made a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happens to me, too. My family tells me it's because I don't off half-cocked - I go off fully cocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make my decisions quickly. Probably because I spend a lot time pondering about what I want/don't want and what I like/don't like beforehand. I haven't regretted anything, yet.

    It's been two years. How do you feel about your decision now?

    ReplyDelete