Thursday, March 24, 2011

No, I don't think so.

I made the mistake of opening my local newspaper the other day.

This is almost always a mistake. I am racking my brain and cannot think of anything good that has come of reading the paper. I suppose there must have been *something* other than bad writing, uninformed opinions and news that's not news, but nothing springs to mind.

Anyway, the editor's weekly uninformed opinion was about parking tickets. It appears that he does not like to feed his meters when he parks downtown.

I know. I was horrified at the injustice, too.

And apparently parking tickets cost $50 if you don't pay them right away.

He would like parking fees to be included in municipal taxes so drivers do not have to pay for parking. He would like us to think about all of the things we currently fund through our taxes and don't use.

From this, I gather that 1) he does not pay his parking tickets right away and 2) he does not pay municipal taxes, either.

This is a fantastic argument. I am all for paying increased taxes so scofflaws like him do not have to get any parking tickets. If he'd like to pay my user fees at municipal facilities, that would be even better. Perhaps he could buy me a sandwich from time to time, too.

One of these days I will stop reading, and my blood pressure will return to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment